This post is intended for those who are new to blogging. So you’re at the point where you’ve installed wordpress and can now begin adding posts. But there’s a few things you should do first before promoting your blog. It’s not ready yet. Here’s the list..
- Change your blog theme. You don’t have to purchase a theme, but just don’t use the default theme. You want to show your potential readers you care about the look of your site. If I visit a site with the default theme still on, I usually leave before even reading anything.
- Get a gravatar. A gravatar is an image (an avatar) that appears beside your name when you comment on other blogs.
- Create About Me and Contact pages. Use a contact form plugin and insert it into your Contact page to make it easy for potential advertisers, visitors and other bloggers to send you a message.
- Upload a favicon. A favicon is a small image that appears next to your url in the address bar of a browser. It’s useful because when your site is bookmarked the image is also displayed in the user’s favorites. You create a 50×50 px image and rename it favicon.ico. You can then upload this image at the root of your site and it will automatically be displayed.
- Change your permalink structure. I use /%postname%/ for this blog.
- Plugins. Install Askimet to combat comment spam, a plugin for social bookmarking, a sitemap plugin, a cache plugin and an seo plugin.